Feed'em Soup Community Project
Age Requirement: 12
You will be working in a commercial kitchen. Volunteers are expected and REQUIRED to follow proper health code and sanitation procedures. Feed’em Soup staff will be able to work with you and properly train you to insure all codes are followed. Volunteers will be working in an environment that contains fire, knives and other sharp objects, bleach, raw meat (chicken, beef, pork) and other potentially hazardous food products, raw produce, peanuts and other potential allergens and other items you may encounter in a commercial kitchen. Volunteers will be working with a variety of very expensive commercial kitchen equipment provided to help our community by donors and grant makers. Volunteers need to ensure the proper handling and care of equipment to ensure it is able to continuously used to feed our community.
What to Wear:
- Closed Toed Shoes. ABSOLUTELY NO sandals or flip flops
- Hair restraint – A Hat, Bandana, Headband etc. If you do not bring your own, we do have less-than-fashionable hair nets.
- As little jewelery as possible
- Comfortable clothing
- We have Feed'em Soup T-shirts available for purchase. They are $12.00 each. You can also purchase them at Moxie in DeKalb or Stomp in Sycamore. A T-shirt is NOT required, but most volunteers prefer to wear one while volunteering.
What to Bring:
- We ask that each volunteer bring a roll of paper towels to donate to help offset the costs to keep them stocked (Approximately $1,500/year)
- A music playing device. We often allow volunteers to choose the music playing in the kitchen.
Where do I park?
- Every shift EXCEPT Wednesday Dinner Service can park in DeKalb Public Lot 2, directly bordering the south side of our building
- Wednesday Dinner Shift should NOT park in DeKalb Public Lot 2 so that the senior citizens and disabled dinner guests can park in the more accessible spots. The best place to park is in the lot south of our building across the train tracks.
LOCATION: 122 South First, Downtown DeKalb
Tasks may include:
LOCATION: 122 South First
Deep Cleaning of Grill, Griddle, Oven, Sinks, Fridges etc
Mopping/Hosing Kitchen Floor
Resetting Dining Room