Holy Name Cathedral - Human Concerns Commission
Hi and thank you for interest in volunteering!
We need volunteers each month to help repackage food at the Greater Chicago Food Depository (GCFD).
You can meet us directly at the GCFD facility or meet at Holy Name Cathedral at 7:45am and carpool to GCFD. We are always in need of drivers for the carpools so if you have access to a car we would greatly appreciate the help.
In order to volunteer:
First, you will need to sign up for a shift at the bottom of this page. If all slots are filled, you are able to sign up for a future shift by selecting another month on the calendar.
Second, you will need to register on the Greater Chicago Food Depository website: https://volunteers.chicagosfoodbank.org/index.php?section=indGpRegistrations&action=profile_conditional&fwID=10808
Please take a look at these guidelines for volunteers:
- Volunteers must be able to stand for up to 90 minutes while doing some light lifting and bending.
- Clothing: Long pants and covered shoulders are required to work in the warehouse.
- Shoes: Closed shoes are required in the warehouse. No open toed or open back shoes are allowed.
- Jewelry: Loose and dangling jewelry should be removed before entering the warehouse. Some projects will require all jewelry to be removed.
- Grooming and Hygiene: Many project require hand washing, aprons and hairnets. Please be prepared to tie back long hair.
- Tattoos: All visible tattoos should be covered while representing the Food Depository.
- Piercings: No visible facial piercing jewelry, other than in the ears, is allowed.
- Health and Wellness: To protect the safety of the food, please inform project supervisor if you have any open cuts or if you are not feeling well.
Sync Entire Sign Up to My Calendar