Sign up to Volunteer!
The 72nd running of the Tryon Block House Races is on Saturday, April 14th! Join us for a beautiful day of steeplechase racing on the new "Green Creek" Race Course, located on Hwy. 9 in Columbus, NC.
Volunteers are an essential part of the success of any race day and of pre-race day preparation, set up and planning. Thank you for your willingness to participate in this year’s race. And know that we realize that we could not do it without you!
The following outlines Committees, Leads and Volunteers positions, please review:
Parking & Grounds Committee
Volunteer Lead, Terry Lynch
- Parking & Grounds
- Pre-Race Golf Cart Tour Guide
- Shuttle Cart Drivers
- Race Guide Sales
Volunteer Lead, Mary Pat Monteith
- Annual Contests Judges: Hat, Tailgate, & GTH Pants
- Tent/Area Marshalls: Legend’s Club Tent & Race Tower
- Trophies & Awards
Volunteer Lead, Jane Lynch
Volunteer HQ / Information
Volunteer Lead, Beverly Bradford
- Volunteer Check in
- TIEC office help
Volunteer Lead, Fred Bayley
- Jockey Cart Drivers
- Vendor Area Marshalls
- Amateur Photographers
- Pre-Race Entertainment
- Non-race Steward
PRIOR TO RACE DAY, PLEASE :
- Sign up for a Volunteer Orientation if you haven't already. All 2018 TIEC volunteers must attend an orientation, sign a waiver, and receive a handbook. 2 orientations are offered: March 24th and 31st on the back porch of the TRHC office from 9am - 10am. You can sign up for either one. Scroll down past this info sheet. The orientations are the first two signups available.
- Take a tour of the new racecourse - Familiarize yourself with the layout of the venue, noting gates, EMS postings, infield parking areas & hospitality tents based on the maps
- Review your job description – Understand fully what you are being asked to do –what, when, where and for how long. Let us know if you have any questions and/or physical restrictions.
- Print out your parking pass – Check your email - You will receive a link to your parking pass
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO – WHAT TO EXPECT & WHAT TO DO:
- Dress appropriately - Wear slacks or shorts, a white collared shirt, and comfortable, closed-toe shoes that are stable to walk on uneven terrain. All Leads are asked wear a blazer. (All volunteers are encouraged to wear a blazer.)
- Volunteer parking - Area marked on your map – in the infield. Enter through Gate 1 or Gate 2. Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the start of your role/activity. We expect heavy traffic, so please allow plenty of time to arrive at the venue and park.
- Plan ahead - Gates will close when there is a horse on the racecourse and you will need to arrive/depart while the gates are open.
- Check in at the Volunteer Tent upon arrival – Volunteer tent is adjacent to the parking area; it will be open all day, and there you will pick up:
- Lunch ticket
- Radio and/or golf cart (if specified)
- Bottled drinks and snacks – keep your energy up!
- Lunch – Please see your lunch ticket at the TIEC “diner” in the infield. You may eat your food in the volunteer tent, or wherever you choose. Also, feel free to take a break at any time as long as you get someone to cover your position while you are away.
- Check out - At the end of your shift, return your credentials, radio, and/or golf cart to the Volunteer tent. At that time you will be given a swag bag full of goodies.
Thank you again for your time and your support of the 72nd annual Tryon Block House Races, the historic steeplechase of the Tryon Riding & Hunt Club!
- ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST BE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER
- ALL VOLUNTEERS in NC and SC MUST COMPLETE AN ORIENTATION. There are 2 dates: March 24th and 31st, from 9am-10am, on the back porch of the Tryon Riding & Hunt Club.
- Scroll down and signup for the day/shift/position that interests you.
- Any special needs / requests, etc - please use the comments field to convey these - we will do our best to accommodate.
Green Creek Race Course
6881 S. NC Hwy. 9
Columbus, NC 28722
- On the day of the races, please report to the Volunteer Headquarters at your arrival time. This is located in a peaked white tent on the infield.
- Two weeks prior to the races you will receive via email a volunteer parking pass as an attachment. Please download the Volunteer Parking Pass, print, and place in the dashboard of your car. Please inform parking attendants you are a volunteer - they will direct you to the volunteer parking lot. Volunteers will not be charged for parking.
- What do YOU get out of this? The Tryon Block House swag, great snacks, LUNCH, the best seats in the event, meet new friends, and the opportunity to learn about the sport from the experts.
- Every job is a little different, but in general, plan on being in the sun most of the day and dress for the weather. It is always best to dress in layers. Some items you might want to consider bringing/wearing ... a chair, sunscreen, chap stick, hat, closed toe shoes.
- Please feel free to forward this weblink to anyone you feel might want to come out and help. And on behalf of our Volunteer Coordinator and Race Director, THANK YOU!
Let me introduce you to your 2018 VOLUNTEER LEADS - these will be the contacts for the individual areas you are working. Feel free to give them a call if you have questions.
2018 TRYON BLOCK HOUSE RACES
VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR: Kathryn McMahon - 917.297.9717
HOSPITALITY: Mary Pat Monteith - 704.419.9765
FOOD DELIVERY: Jane Lynch - 513.312.6395
PARKING & GROUNDS: Terry Lynch - 513.314.1146
VOLUNTEER HQ / INFORMATION: Beverly Bradford - 828.980.3409
OPERATIONS: Fred Bayley - 828.429.5209
Lodging Information - https://tryon.coth.com/bookings/new-booking
Tryon International Equestrian Center - www.tryon.com
|| Wesley Rosner