Saint Sophia Cathedral
Saint Sophia’s festival brings the best of Greek food, drink and culture to the D.C. area. An annual tradition, the festival for 2017 will be held on May 18 - 20, 2018 (Fri-Sat 12:00 noon to 10:00 PM and Sunday 12:00 noon to 7:00 PM).
Help support our community by volunteering this weekend! We need YOUR HELP in serving our delicious gyros, sharing our spectacular spanikopita, navigating our honeyed pastries and sweets, dispensing beer and wine, and, of course, selling Mercedes Raffle tickets. All profits from the festival are vital to underwriting the Cathedral's operations...from maintaining the smallest tessera in our mosaics to providing the crayons our Sunday School students enjoy during the school year.
Can't share your TIME? Help us underwrite the cost of the festival by sharing your TREASURE and making a donation towards the festival costs. Donations can be made at the church office or at the Festival Corner.
All donations of TIME (volunteering) or TREASURE (donations) will be recognized with a donation leaf at our Festival Corner!
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes...and be ready to get a little dirty.
- Bring the bare essentials -- we do not have a secure place for purses or personal items, so try to keep the items you bring to a minimum.
- Please arrive on time for your shift -- our festival runs smoothly because of our volunteers and your timely attendance helps everything keep going.
- There will not be parking available in the church parking lot, so hunt the neighborhood for spots or use public transportation.
- When you arrive, go directly to your volunteer location -- a map of the festival can be found on the church's website. Go to:http://www.saintsophiadc.com/ministries/volunteer/greek-festival/
- Volunteers will receive a voucher at the completion of their shift for a festival meal and we ask that all volunteers complete their shift prior to taking their meal.
- When getting your volunteer meal, please wait in line (do not jump the line).
- For volunteers at our Sunday shifts, while the festival ends at 7pm, your shift ends at 9pm so you can help us clean and disassemble your respective stations. Please stay and help us make sure everything is put away properly for use at next year's festival.
- For all cash register volunteers, we will train you on how to operate the machines.
- Have fun! Yes, you'll be tired. Yes, you'll probably be a little sore. And definitely dirty. But take the time to listen to the music, sample some of the wonderful food and drink, and enjoy this once a year celebration.
FESTIVAL BOOTH CHAIRS
CUZINA: Eleni Planzos
GRILL: Andrew Ladas and Charlie Zavlianos
LAMB: Yanni Xanthos and George Theodoridis
LOUKOUMADES: Matthew Planzos
PASTRY: Irene Creed and Stracie Maniatis
RAFFLE: John Alahouzos
TAVERNA: Bill Lockhart and Larry Easa
VOLUNTEERS: Amanda Lockhart
WELCOME TABLE: Chris Chaconas
Contact Amanda Lockhart at [email protected] or the Cathedral office for more information at 202-333-4730.
|| Amanda Lockhart