Mundelein Local United Network to Combat Hunger (LUNCH)
Mundelein LUNCH (Local United Network to Combat Hunger) is a loose affiliation of volunteers (mostly from Mundelein churches) who are working together to serve free meals to children in select Mundelein parks every weekday.
The meals are provided each day by the Northern Illinois Food Bank and the cost is covered by the federal government's Summer Food Service program.
Service Site locations:
- Hanrahan Park (map)
- Gordon Ray Park (map)
Time and Dates:
- Every weekday (Monday-Friday) from noon until 1pm (no service on July 4th)
- For 2017, the program runs from June 5 to August 11
Who can get a free meal:
- Any child 18 or under is eligible to receive a meal free of charge. The only restriction is that the meal must be consumed on site.
Participating Congregations (in alphabetical order):
Ways you can help:
- Sign up to volunteer! Team Leader slots are restricted to those who have taken the Northern Illinois Food Bank Training, but there is no training required for Site Volunteers. It's easy and a lot of fun!
Team Leader Requirements and Duties (click here)
Site Volunteer Requirements and Duties (click here)
We are asking Site Volunteers who are:
- Age 18+
- Physically able
- NOT volunteering with children
to assist with loading and unloading of meals at New Hope Christian Felloswhip before and after arriving at their serving site. The requirements and duties have been updated to reflect this change and Site Volunteers will be asked at registration whether they will or will not assist.
You may use the optional comment field to indicate:
- if you'll be bringing your child (15 and under),
- your church or organizational affiliation (if any)
- any unusual situation (need to arrive late or leave early / lifting restrictions / etc.)
NEW FOR 2017:
NEW SERVING SITE: GORDON RAY PARK
The new serving site at Gordon Ray Park replaces Hickory Park as our western serving site this year. A new permanent shelter has been erected by Mundelein LUNCH at Gordon Ray Park to keep the lunches (and volunteers) out of the hot summer sun and greatly reduces the effort to load and unload meals.
All volunteers are encouraged to join the Mundelein LUNCH support and discussion group, which can be found here.
Follow us on Facebook or Twitter
|| Alex Molozaiy